If you want to impress your partner this Valentine’s Day, get your aprons on and head to the kitchen because we’ve got some delicious recipes for you to create – and you don’t need to be a whizz in the kitchen to make these treats.
From starters and sharers, to desserts and snacks, we’ve scoured the web in search of the best Valentine’s recipes from some of the UK’s favourite food bloggers.
WARNING: YOUR PARTNER MAY FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU
Don’t be shellfish
Keep things light, with this delicious scallop starter, sure to wet your appetite. Perfect as a starter, or an appetizer, these rich, creamy scallops with a dash of bacon are both sweet, salty and bursting with flavour.
Pan fried in just minutes, your partner won’t be disappointed if you put these on the menu this Valentine’s Day.
Pan Seared Scallops with Bacon Cream Sauce
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 6 large scallops
- Salt & pepper
- Chopped chives for garnish
- In a medium skillet, cook chopped bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add butter, cream, and Parmesan to the skillet with the bacon grease. Reduce the sauce over medium heat by half. Stir in the cooked bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm over low heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1/2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot (make sure it's really hot!), add the scallops to the pan. Sear until golden brown on one side, approximately 1 minute, and turn over. Sear on the other side for 1 minute until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve the scallops over a layer of bacon cream sauce. Garnish with chives.
Sharing is caring
Show your love with this indulgent heart-shaped pepperoni pizza -perfect for a cosy night in on the sofa, or as part of a romantic Italian meal. Packed with pepperoni and topped with cheese, pizza is the easiest way to fill your partner’s heart – and tummy.
Roll your dough into a love-heart shape to really show them how much you care. Get your iPhone at the ready, as this one will be totally worth an Instagram post.
Love heart pepperoni pizza
- 1 Tablespoon of Dried Yeast
- A Pinch of Salt
- 140 ml Warm Water
- 180 g Strong Plain Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Dried Basil
- Pepperoni Slices
- 1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Puree
- Grated Cheddar or Mozzarella
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic sliced thinly
Make it pop
Settle down with a movie and share some sweet popcorn crammed with treats. Perfect for Valentine’s night, or even a special cinema date, pack the popcorn in a handmade paper box for a thoughtful touch.
Pack the popcorn box with your partners favourite sweets and chocolate to show them how well you know them, and how much you care.
Easy Valentine's Snack Mix
- mini pretzels
- popcorn air-popped
- cereal chex, cherrios, or your choice
- peanuts or a nut of your choice
- M&Ms or other candies
- white chocolate or white candy melts
- pink candy melt
- In your largest bowl, or a large roasting pan, mix all ingredients except the M&M's, sprinkles, and candy melts. Do not over fill your dish, you will need room to toss the ingredients together.
- Melt white candy melts (or white chocolate) in a microwave safe dish (at 50% power) in 30 second intervals until almost melted. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Pour the melted chocolate over the dish of snacks and then stir, stir, stir! It's up to you if you want the mix to be totally coated, or lightly coated (depending on the amount of melted chocolate you use).
- When the snacks are evenly coated, pour entire mixture out onto a baking sheet (or two if needed).
- Immediately (while the coating is still warm and melty) add sprinkles and M&M's. They will stick to some of the clusters as the white chocolate cools (this is a good thing).
- If desired, melt another color of candy melts (in this case, I used pink), and drizzle the colored candy melts over the snack mix as it cools. This will add a bit more color.
- Allow snack mix to cool and chocolate (and candy melts) to set up (about 30 minutes). Once cool, break apart as needed and store in an airtight bag or container.
- Party mix with popcorn in it will remain fresh tasting about 2-3 days, and a bit longer without popcorn.
We all love a little cheese
If you’re going to be a little cheesy, ditch those chat up lines and make your beaut a cherry chocolate chip cheeseball instead. They certainly won’t be cringing when they try it.
Perfect as a sharing dessert, grab some sweet biscuits or crackers and get dipping.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips divided
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until combined. Add cherry juice and powdered sugar until fully blended. Fold in chopped cherries and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
- At this point you can either serve immediately...or continue on to make as a cheeseball. For the cheeseball, line a rounded bowl with plastic wrap. Pour mixture into bowl, bringing up sides of plastic wrap to cover the top. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, invert cheeseball onto serving plate and press remaining 1/2 cup mini chips into the cheeseball. Serve with graham crackers, animal cookies, apple slices, pretzels, etc!!
Red velvet on the sheets
Things don’t get much sweeter than these luscious marble red velvet cheesecake brownies.
Combine this decadent cake into a gooey brownie and you’ll feel like you’re floating on cloud 9 when you take a bite. This recipe requires a little more effort than our popcorn treat box – but your partner will know how hard you’ve worked to create these luscious brownies
Marbled red velvet cheesecake brownies
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons milk divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 18 jelly roll pan with butter or spray with Baker’s Joy.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons milk, vanilla extract, red food coloring, and white vinegar.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, until completely combined. The batter will be a really thick, almost moldable texture…but don’t worry, that’s what you want.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the batter and place it in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of milk (into the 3/4 cup of batter you just took out). Set aside the 3/4 cup batter.
- Pour the remaining batter into the prepared jelly roll pan. Using a spatula, smooth out the batter to reach all the edges.
- Now, in your stand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined and there are no lumps.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the red velvet layer and smooth mixture till it reaches all the edges.
- Drop spoonfuls of the remaining red velvet batter (that you mixed with milk) onto the top of the cheesecake layer. Drag the tip of a knife through the red velvet and the cheesecake layers to create swirls.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating half way through, or just until the center is set and it no longer jiggles.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. Use a medium sized heart cookie cutter to create the perfect Valentine’s Day treat!
Bake their day
Everybody loves M&M’s but bake them in a cookie and you’ve created something truly tasty. Easy to prepare and quick to bake, these giant Valentine’s M&M cookies will leave the sweetest taste in your loved ones mouth. Take a look at the recipe here.
Why pay for Millie’s Cookies when you create your own? If you know your partner prefers another chocolate treat, swap the M&M’s and give them a personal bite.
Giant valentines M&M's cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Half bag of Milk Chocolate M&Ms
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla, making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until everything is incorporated.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerate for 2 hours. Scoop out some dough, and roll it into a ball. It should be about the size of a golf ball.
- Roll the ball of dough around in some M&M's, making sure the M&M's stick into the dough, and place the cookie on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place 6 cookies on a sheet since they will spread due to their size.
Fancy some fudge?
For those who can’t bake – this two step fudge is the sweetest treat – and it’s so easy to make. Prepared in just 5 minutes, if you ‘re short on time then this is the treat you need to bake. Your partner will never know how easy it was!
Pop them in a box and add a ribbon for an easy, cost-effective gift that’ll taste like a million dollars.
Strawberry two ingredient fudge bars
- Prepare a 9×9 pan by spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Over a double boiler, or in the microwave, melt your white chocolate chips.
- When chips are melted, remove from heat and stir in your strawberry frosting, evenly.
- Spread in your prepared pan and place in fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares to serve.
A bite of the good stuff
Don’t fancy making a whole cheesecake? Why not stuff some succulent strawberries and create a twist on the much-loved classic? Great if you only fancy a bite, these cheesecake stuffed strawberries are a great way to end a Valentine’s meal for two.
If you’re really trying to impress, why not add a bottle of champagne to go with your leftover strawberries?
Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- 1 pound large strawberries
- 8 ounce block cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Rinse strawberries and cut around the top of the strawberry, leaving a nice hole to fill the strawberry with filling.
- If the inside of your strawberry is not hollow you can use a small knife and clean out some of the inside. If you are using large strawberries they tend to be hollow in the middle.
- Optional: If you would like you strawberries to stand upright (like you see in the picture) slice a tiny section off the bottom. I normally skip this step and just let them rest on their side.
- Continue until all the strawberries have been prepped.
- After the strawberries are prepped add cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla bean paste to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix together until smooth and fully combined.
- Add mixture to a piping bag and fill the inside of the strawberries until the filling reaches the top of the strawberry.
- Dip the top of the strawberry in graham cracker crumbs.
- These are best tasting the day they are made.
- Optional: Feel free to add mix-ins to the cream cheese - lemon zest, flavored extract or even mini-chocolate chips.